The shiba inu is a bred which was used to hunt small game, flush birds and wild boar.this is a native breed of Japan and is a small dog.there are five other breeds of Japan: Akita which is a large size dog, Kishu, Hokkaido, Kai and Shikoku.
These are the well spirited dog having small standing ears and they are clever and agile like a cat.they now become a best companion dog in Japan and United States.they have squinty eyes and curly tail they give a look like a fox.
Some Common Characteristics Of Shiba Inu
- Grooming a shiba inu is not a problem as they require less grooming though they shed heavily but this is just twice a year.
- They are very intelligent and learn quickly.they are hard to train as they are somewhat stubborn dogs a new owner will get annoyed easily when training them.
- Though small in size they need ample room to roam about they are not preferred if you live in an apartment and are best for living in a big home with huge fenced yard.
- They are not a danger but they don’t like a company of other dogs, they will run and chase after the small animal they see outside.
- They are a possessive kind of dogs; they don’t like to share their food and toys.
- To get a healthy puppy do not adopt through pet store and puppy mills, only get your dog through a reliable source a person who knows the history and all the genetic diseases the parents have.
- Male shiba inu are 14.5 to 16.5 inches tall and female shiba inu are 13.5 to 15.5 inches tall.
- Male weighs about 23 and female weighs about 17 pounds.
- They are the good natured and bold dogs; they have alert nature so they become good watch dogs.
- There are certain health conditions they suffer from but mostly they are the healthy dogs.
- They will suffer through some allergies mainly food allergies, glaucoma is also common in them where there is accumulation of fluids in the chest cavity.
- They also suffer from eye diseases and cancer, epilepsy is also genetic in them.the are prone to injuries, head tumors and headaches.
- If not socialized at early stage they become aloof and hostile towards other pets and people.although they are a smart breed training them is not as easy as training a golden retriever.
- When trained properly they grow up to be well-behaved dogs.
- They like to walk and run beside the owner but put leash on them for their safety.
- They need ½ to 1.5 cups of high quality good dog food twice a day.
- They have a thick double coat which makes them look like a teddy bear, he is a naturally clean and odor less dog which is a great quality about them.
They are best for cold weather and it is difficult for them to tolerate hot weather, they are highly adaptable in living in an apartment.